Having a successful portrait taken by a photographer requires a bit of preparation beforehand. If proper clothing, props, personal items and location are chosen to create the desired portrait you are looking for, then the results will speak for itself. Most clients will only need to choose the clothing and leave the rest up to the photographer.
I have created a Pinterest board (as seen above) to offer a few examples of colour coordinating the group for their photo shoot
Holst photography studio comes with a select few props to enhance client’s portraits, but Viv would always advise clients to bring some of their own items to make the portrait more personal, as well as telling the clients own story. During the portrait session, it’s advisable bringing along a change of clothing so as to give a variety within the session.
Preparing your clothing
- This can be as simple as wearing matching clothing, complementary or opposite colour eg Blue/red, Yellow purple, Orange/green etc.
- Another element to take note of when choosing the clothing for the photo session is to have some texture (denim, wool, corduroy) as this is great for when photos are converted to Black and White. Studio lighting will accentuate the textures and give a lovely 3-dimensional effect to your portraits.
- If clients prepare this in advance there is no reason the results won’t be amazing.
- If in any doubt, white shirts with denim trousers is a great look for many families.
Preparing your children for the photo session
- This is important, as being kids means sometimes getting messy, and as Murphy’s law say: if you don’t want it to happen it will more than likely happen.
- Bring along a change of clothing, which will not only help in case of those little mishaps but also add to the variety in their photo session by having a few choices of outfits.
- Using different backgrounds we usually recommend a light colour and dark colour clothing change, that way their clothing will compliment the backgrounds they are placed on.
For some help with your family portrait, view the galleries for some ideas on what to dress your children in for their portraits.